HISTORY

An Original 1887 American Tavern

The stage coach route ran along Main Street in the growing village of Williamsville, N.Y. To attract area residents and travelers, The Glen Park Tavern was constructed in 1887 and has been operating as a restaurant and pub ever since. Come dine in the original brick building with hand-hewn beams, original mahogany bar and hardwood floors.

Today The Glen Park Tavern remains at the hub of the community — a meeting place where friends and family can enjoy good food, easy conversation and great spirits. We’re open 7 days a week for lunch, brunch, takeouts, caterings and dinner. Enjoy!

The Glen

Glen Park Tavern - Historical Photo

As “a narrow secluded valley,” our Glen on the banks of nearby Ellicott Creek played and continues to play a prominent part in the rich history of the Village of Williamsville.

The Park

Landmarks such as the Glen Park Casino and Williamsville’s only amusement park received their names from this location.


The Village of Williamsville

Glen Park Tavern - Historical - The Mansion House - Williamsville, NY

Created as a hamlet, the Village of Williamsville first adopted the name “Williams Mills” after Jonas Williams, who constructed a rough mill on the East bank of Ellicott Creek in 1811. William abandoned that mill to erect another on the West bank. Converted to a military garrison during the War of 1812, “Williams Mills” would thereafter become known as Williamsville, and the village officially incorporated in 1850. It still serves as a center of trade and commerce with farms being replaced by village homes.

Tavern Life

Tavern life boomed in the 1800’s because taverns were used to host some of the community’s most significant events. Elias Ransom’s Tavern housed the first unofficial town meeting in 1808, electing Jonas Williams as town supervisor.


Historical Amherst NY - Glen Park Tavern

Amherst’s first town board meeting was held in 1819 at The Mansion House, a tavern house of Frederick Miller, on the southeast corner of Main and Cayuga Streets. (While history does not record whether the taps were running, the official minutes of the meeting relate that it was resolved to vote “hogs as free commoners.”) The stage coach route ran along Main Street in the rowing village. To attract area residents and travelers, The Glen Park Tavern was constructed in 1887 and has been operating as a restaurant and pub ever since. You are dining in the original brick building with hand-hewn beams, portions of the original mahogany bar and hardwood floors.

Amherst Bee

Historical Williamsville NY - The Amherst Bee and Williamsville Stage - Next to the post office.

How do we know all this? In addition to valuable records in the Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village and the Buffalo and Erie County History and Science Museum, The Amherst Bee began publishing in 1879 – 8 years before construction of the current Glen Park Tavern in 1887. Today, The Glen Park Tavern remains at the hub of the community — a meeting place where friends and family can enjoy good food, easy conversation and great spirits. We’re open 7 days a week for lunch, brunch, takeouts, caterings and dinner. Enjoy!

News & Events

Gift Cards

Buy Now Button with Credit Cards